Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Day 90

     There have been lots of questions this past week about the purpose behind the Woman's March on Washington. The mission behind the march can be found here. As a participant in one of the sister marches, I'm going to spend the next few posts discussing the personal reasons for which I attended. These include concerns about the rights of immigrants, members of the LGBTQIA community, persons with disabilities, and those trapped in poverty.

   Starting her young

     I marched because I wanted to be engaged. This was a stepping stone from frustrated observer to an actively involved citizen. I don't want to sit back and watch what happens as rights are stripped away, and essential programs are defunded. I chose to speak up. This is not a case of "whining because my side lost", an argument I've heard frequently. Quite the contrary, I'd like to think we are all on the side of humanity and I just cannot stand by without speaking up as I watch our government leaders make decisions with which I do not agree.

    

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment