Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Day 74

     I think like many people in this world, I have struggled over the past week to find the words to articulate my dismay with the world around me. I still have not found them.

     My Facebook newsfeed and Twitter feed are both full of anger, disgust, and confusion. I am truly fearful for our future, and not just because of the terrorist attacks. I am also afraid of the dark hatred I have seen on display, much of which is based on bias, gross generalization and misinformation.

     How do I raise my children in a society such as this? The inquisitive 5 year old who loves his friends of various races, genders and religions. The impulsive 2 year old who gives hugs and kisses to everyone he meets. The precious baby I carry within me who is the definition of innocence. How do I explain this world to them? How can I keep them loving and accepting children, when everything around us screams "Be Afraid!!!"? 

     This post is not so much about the events of Lebanon, Afghanistan, Paris, Nigeria or the many other places around the world where terrorists have inflicted pain. Nor is it about gun control, immigration or foreign policy. Rather, I want to return to the focus of this blog- Beauty.

     It's hard to find beauty in times such as these. How can there be beauty when innocent people die? When families are torn apart? When daily life is disrupted by terror? When extremists are seen as the ambassadors of over a billion people? When people are so fearful that they are willing to watch children die? How can we ever recover? 

     I've always tried to be an optimist. I choose love over war. Kind words over hateful ones. Education over ignorance. It feels like less and less are following this path. This is what scares me. 

     I wonder what I can do to be an agent of change and peace. What can I do to combat the evil that is enveloping our world? It feels impossible to do anything of significance. Posting an article on social media won't change the opinions of those who have already made up their minds. Changing a profile picture won't bring back lost loved ones. 

     How can I live a beautiful life that I am proud of? One that my children can look back on with respect and admiration?

     I will love the people around me- my family, my students, coworkers, friends and neighbors. I will demonstrate tolerance. I will speak kind words. I will be considerate to those who are struggling. I will listen. I will make eye contact. I will smile at strangers.  I will enjoy the little things. I will engage in the world around me. I will be an agent for good. This is the way I can affect change.  This is beautiful.

     Tonight I will start my own war on terror and hatred by holding my son and singing him to sleep- by choosing love. 

Please join me.






1 comment:

  1. I love this. And thank you because I've been struggling with these thoughts lately. And you've nailed it.

    ReplyDelete