Sunday, May 11, 2014

Day 46

     When you ask a three and a half year old how many miles he can walk and he responds with "Five", don't believe him.

This may be my favorite picture so far.

     Lucas was getting a little antsy this afternoon so I asked him if he wanted to take a walk with me to get flowers for my mother. We had a lovely brunch on the patio and now we were trying to get ready for my parents and sister to visit and Lucas was in need of some attention. Actually, he's been in need of attention a lot recently and has resorted to hitting and biting to get it, but that's another story for another day. 
     I planned on taking the jogging stroller, but Lucas was insistent that we walk together. He was so sweet about it that I gave in, although I knew in my gut that I was probably going to have to carry him on the way back. 
     Two houses away from ours and he asked me to pick him up. I figured it was because we were walking on the part of the road that doesn't have sidewalks and he may have been a little scared. 
     I was wrong. 
     I carried him most of the way to the flower store, a little over a mile down the road from our house. We passed lots of families out for their Mother's Day celebrations. Our town seems to have a never-ending supply of wealthy and well-dressed families and my Target gym clothes and sweat weren't really fitting in. I can't lie- I sort of envied those women with their Lilly Pulitzer dresses and children who would walk on their own two feet. 
     We made it to the flower shop and picked out a bouquet for Nana. While we were waiting (did I mention I still had to hold him while we were in the store?) Lucas said, "Mommy, I have to tell you a secret". I leaned in and he took my face in his hands and whispered "I love you". I think my heart is still in a puddle in front of the cash register. 
     After we purchased the flowers, we began to make our way home. About two blocks in, I could feel his body turn to dead weight and by the third block, he was out. I struggled something awful for about half a mile before I called my husband to ask him to get us. He didn't pick up the phone so I left a quick message and told him if he could come out, I'd really appreciate it.
     As I carried the flowers and a 35lb child, I wondered, do people who pass by think I need help? Is anyone going to pull over to ask me if I'm OK? I probably look ridiculous. Thankfully, Jim got the message, strapped Ben into the car seat and came to get us. Knowing a good photo opportunity when he sees one, he snapped this picture as I was about to put Lucas into the car seat. No wonder no one stopped to ask if I needed help. I look like a very capable and experienced mother who can handle any situation. 
     I am so proud of this picture! When I envisioned myself as a mother, I always knew that I wouldn't be the mom in the Lilly Pulitzer dress- that's just not me. I am the mother of two young boys and playing outside, getting covered in dirt, and general rambunctiousness is my life. Maybe one day we will all dress up and have a nice afternoon out, but for now, the dirt, messes, sweaty hugs and sloppy kisses are all I need.  
     
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there- those that are here, those that are gone, those to-be and those who wish to-be. 

1 comment:

  1. beautiful! now THAT is imperfect beauty. LIfe with all its ups and downs.

    ReplyDelete