Thursday, May 22, 2014

Day 48

     I think I may be having a professional/career crisis of sorts. I need to take a step back and what better day to do that than #tbt

My second year of teaching- amazing that they hired a 16 year old, right?

     Let's be honest, education isn't exactly the most enjoyable of careers at this moment. I will refrain from getting too political as I haven't been in my classroom during this tumultuous transition, yet I hope to get back to it in the fall- so no jeopardizing myself with rants! If you know me, you probably know where I stand and if you don't know me, that previous comment probably gave it away. In all honesty, I just want to teach. I think that's what we all want. We want to help our students to achieve their greatest potential in whatever it is that they are passionate about. Personally, I want to open their minds to the music, art and culture that surrounds us and makes us human. Constantly barraging our students with standardized testing will not accomplish this. But, I digress...
     I feel stuck. 
     There was a point in my life when I wanted nothing more than to be on stage, performing for whoever would listen. I loved to sing, dance and act and I was happiest when before an audience. About the time I was preparing to graduate college, my self esteem and belief in my ability to perform had taken quite a blow. I was looking at graduate schools and opportunities for continuing to perform and I had an epiphany. I wasn't prepared to pursue performance at the expense of a potential future relationship and family. It was a tough decision to come to at age 22, but I knew it was right. I felt it wouldn't be an appropriate investment of time, money or my sanity to spend my life auditioning. I wasn't emotionally capable of facing constant rejection. And, I had just begun my student teaching and it turned out that I actually loved working with students! 
     Upon graduating, finding a job turned out to be more difficult than getting into undergrad! I spent 9 months sending out resumes and going on interviews that led nowhere. I was told I would be an excellent teacher one day, but I needed experience (how ironic that experience completely shuts you out of contention for teaching jobs now...). 
      I did finally find a job and I've been there since 2003. I am pretty sure that I have the world's greatest coworkers and students. Seriously. These are some of the most amazing people I've ever met. I'm pretty sure I've taught a future president, a Grammy winner, an ambassador- I could go on with the skills and talents they all possess! 
     However, I feel like we've come a point where I wonder if there will be a place for me in education 10 years from now. What are we teaching our children? What standards are we holding them and ourselves to? If our main goal is to prepare them for college starting at the tender age of five, what sort of educational experience will they have? I want an education for our children that is filled with imagination, creativity, passion for learning and JOY! 
     In 2005, I had that in my classroom with the two students pictured above. They are now rising college seniors and I have no doubt that the both of them will go on to do great things. Back then I was able to teach music- for the sake of music- but I was also able to enrich studies outside of the music classroom. I don't know what the future holds, but knowing the generation that will soon be graduating had a chance to learn with joy gives me hope that they can be a positive influence in our society and in education.  
     
     Sorry for the preachy and probably confusing ramblings tonight. I think I'm frustrated and not sure where I see myself fitting in, given my educational philosophy. One thing I am sure of is that I am grateful for my students- every single one of them- and I hope they know that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment