Thursday, June 19, 2014

Day 50

     One of my favorite lines from "Beauty and the Beast" is when Belle says to her father, "Papa, do you think I'm odd?"

#tbt to "Beauty and the Beast"- a little bit of both here.


     I never got to play the role of Belle (and pretty sure I'm way too old at this point!), but this is a question I've often pondered. Am I odd? I can be extremely socially awkward and motherhood has made me worse. There are times I have conversations that I don't quite remember because I'm thinking about some errand I forgot to run or am exhausted from another sleepless night.  There have also been times when I stick my foot in my mouth or say something completely awkward. Maybe that's what happens when you spend your days babbling with a infant and negotiating/diffusing tantrums with a toddler. I find that my interactions with adults are rare and I'm not doing well when I have them. Could it be that my life feels so mundane that I'm now incapable of having an intelligent conversation? Is it that I have so much to say that once I start talking, I can't stop and I don't formulate a coherent thought?
     Many years ago I played the role of the singing dresser, Madame de la Grande Bouche (translation- Missus of the Big Mouth). I had a fantastic time getting back on the stage after a few years off, but I didn't get to socialize much. I had to spend much of the production sitting inside a large box on stage, waiting to pop up and sing/say my lines. In a lot of ways it feels like I'm waiting around to sing/say my lines now, only they aren't written out for me and I keep messing them up. I get out, talk to people, go back to my house/box and smack myself in the head for being weird. I honestly worry that when the boys go to school I'm going to be the odd mom who doesn't quite fit in.
     I guess the only thing I can do is keep popping out of the box and trying. Sooner or later I'll figure it out, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment