Sunday, April 6, 2014

Day 33

     Weekends used to be for relaxing. This morning I told Lucas that before we had him, Daddy and I used to sleep in late, watch sports on TV and go out with our friends on the weekend. He laughed and told me that was silly.


Those aren't dairy-free

     We used to be silly. The past ten and half years have been a lot of fun, but there has also been a lot of "growing up"- and a lot quicker than we wanted. I often feel like during our difficult times in 2009, we lost a lot of what made us "us". Does that make sense? I like to think my husband and I are pretty funny people, but we got a lot more serious than we used to be.
     This weekend was filled with housework, yard work, a sick kid, a cranky kid and a few beers/glasses of wine. We try to make the best of things, but obviously we aren't going out on the town like we used to- not that it's a bad thing, just our reality. Tonight, I really wanted to get an area rug and new lamp for our bedroom, so we ran to Target after we dropped of the tiller my husband rented at Home Depot.... Ugh, just writing this sentence makes me cringe- who are we? Anyway, I had Ben in the stroller and Jim had Lucas in the cart. As we both walked toward the store, I declared a race and we nearly knocked over families (at 8pm) with our squealing children (who happened to be dressed in their pjs) to see who could make it to the door first. It was such a silly and happy moment. The kind of moment that used to fill our days when it was just the two of us.
     When we got home, put the kids to bed, put away our purchases and placed a grocery order, I went to get my dairy-free dessert from the freezer as my reward for the weekend and found the box full of rainbow Goldfish, my husband laughing behind me.
     I can't quite explain why, but this makes me so happy. It actually might be my favorite moment from the weekend. I know we will spend the rest of our lives doing silly things to make each other smile.
     I am so very lucky to have found my this amazing man to share my life with.

No comments:

Post a Comment