Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Day 25


     It was only a matter of time before I posted a picture of breastfeeding. After all, my life pretty much revolves around feeding this kid.

  I'm beginning to think Lucas has an eye for photography.

     Nursing is something I personally feel very strongly about- even more so with Ben and his diary allergies. However, I could quite frankly care less about how anyone else feeds their baby! No judgement here if you formula feed or if you nurse well into the toddler years. Each family gets to make that choice on their own and I would never pressure or shame a mother over their decision.
     When Lucas was born, I was so uncomfortable and afraid of nursing in public. I felt like I had to hide every time I fed him- in the back of the car, in a bathroom- hidden so as not to offend others. And I was very insecure about his weight gain and whether or not he was getting enough to eat. Nursing made me crazy and I'm sure there were at least a dozen times I wanted to give up. As time passed by, I got more comfortable and learned to respond to the needs of my son. I realized I was doing everything just fine and I needed to calm the heck down.
     Now with Ben, I've reached a whole new level of comfort. I nurse where ever and whenever he needs to eat and I generally do not use a cover as Ben likes his open space. I'm so proud of how far I've come and I've learned that it really isn't as big of a deal as we make it out to be. Last week I had conversations with teenagers while nursing Ben and either they didn't realize or they didn't care. I love how I've been able to bond with and nourish my children and how I don't let that hold me back from living a "normal" life like I did in the beginning of my breastfeeding experience.

     A woman's body can do some amazing and beautiful things! Why should we hide this?

No comments:

Post a Comment