Monday, March 24, 2014

Day 20


     I always thought I had "the look" down pat. When students misbehave, I just give them "the look" and they get it together. If my husband starts making fun of me or gets on my case, I just raise my eyebrows and he backs off.
     Tonight I inadvertently took a picture of myself giving "the look" toward Jim as he had a conversation with his brother. It turns out people weren't backing off because of my serious expression.
     Apparently they were shocked by my ability to age 10 years in just a few seconds.

Well at least you can't see my crow's feet. 

     Wow. I had no idea my face did this. To be fair I'm on my 4th or 5th sleepless night (I've lost count at this point) and I had done some demo makeup on my face for the play tonight and didn't wash it off very well. But no matter what, the truth is that I am getting older.
     I never thought much about my skin aging because I wear sunscreen and take care of myself. Plus, I still get occasional adult acne and old people don't get acne! I guess I'm going to have to confront this. Do I start to seriously invest in the anti-aging skin care products or do I take my lines for what they are- signs of a life well lived?
     I don't know that I can definitively answer this question, but my gut response is that my lines are beautiful because they are real and they reflect my experiences. I wouldn't be doing myself any favors by erasing the evidence of the passage of time.

This is my face. This is me. This is honest. This is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment