Saturday, March 8, 2014

Day 4

     Have you ever heard the term "Bitchy Resting Face"? There were a series of funny videos/fake PSAs a year or so ago to raise awareness of the phenomenon of women who look hostile or judgmental at rest. I'm pretty sure I suffer from this. I've heard hundreds of times that I should smile more. Random people on the street have told me that I should smile. I wonder, do I need to be happy to look happy?

 
     When I asked my husband to snap a picture of me this evening, I was struck by the fact that in nearly every photo he took, I had the same "bleh" expression. Yes, we had another really bad night of sleep, but overall I had a wonderful day! I sorted through the photos (about 20 in all from the day) and chose the one that best demonstrated the look I always try to avoid.
     I tend to get consumed by things. Movies, books, conversations, music, my own thoughts. When I drift off my face relaxes and I often look irritated or annoyed. That couldn't be further from the truth! In this picture I am working on character sketches for makeup design for the HS musical. Even though I'm currently on maternity leave, I will still work on the musical production in the town where I teach. I love being a part of theatrical world. I wish I was still performing or perhaps even directing, but for now HS makeup designer is my role. I look so intent on examining the point of pencil and to make sure I get the right blend of color on Dorothy's lips (Wizard of Oz).
     It's really important for me to do this well because it's the only "work" I've done outside of the home in over a year. I think that's what I love the most about this photo- I'm not "mom" in this picture. I'm a creative, artistic and accomplished individual who is doing something other than feeding, burping, wiping, changing, cleaning or washing. I struggle with this aspect of staying home and while I treasure the time with Ben, I really appreciate the opportunity to do something other than parent. So, despite the "Bitchy Resting Face", I'm actually happy with this moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment