Friday, March 7, 2014

Day 3

     Today a friend from high school came to visit during her lunch break. We have stayed in touch via Facebook and just had the realization that she drives past my house everyday on her way to work. She told me that she recently started doing her own French manicures and asked if I would like one- um, yes please!
     I used to faithfully get my mani and pedi every two weeks and kept my hands looking beautiful. At first it may have been a subconscious attempt to get my boyfriend to "put a ring on it". Then once he did, I needed my hands to look presentable at all times. Oh, how times have changed!
    To put it all in perspective, for birthday last year my husband got me a gift certificate to a local spa to get a manicure and pedicure. The gift certificate expired one year after purchase. He bought it on my birthday, which is February 12th and I used it on February 11th. Clearly, I do not put much thought into my hands anymore!

Just to clarify, this is pre-manicure from my lovely friend!

     Gone are the lovely hands with strong beautiful nails. They are brittle from being used as a teether. They break easily, because I never remember to take my vitamins. They are scarred from various kitchen accidents. They are often covered in marker from some project with Lucas. But I love my hands.
     I love how they comfort my children, prepare a meal, practice piano, lift weights, and tap along to music. I connect with the people around me by using them, not by them looking pretty. I use my hands to hold my husband in the middle of the night because that's the only time we aren't "dividing and conquering". I hold the hand of a friend who has shared devastating news. I wave hello to the man who rides his bike up and down Route 27, waving at everyone he passes. I hold Lucas's head in my hands when he looks into my eyes and tells me he loves me.
     My hands are beautiful.

     Tonight I implore you to use your hands to hold someone you love. Remember the feeling of touching their skin, the electricity that moves between two people. We don't get to hold our loved ones forever and we should never take their physical presence for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment